“You get from your community what you put into it.”
Perhaps no single quote characterizes my purpose more than this one above. Hello, and thank you for stopping by!
My name is Dustin Qualls, and I am running for Position 1 of the Klein ISD Board of Trustees in the November 2023 general election. I have both a personal and professional passion for serving the community and I desire to serve our Klein community as a Board Trustee. My daily goal is to make the quality of life better for others.
I was born and raised in Lubbock, Texas, then attended Texas A&M University graduating with a degree in Civil Engineering in 2000. It was in Aggieland where I met my wife, Sarah (Klein High School ’96), and we have lived in Klein ISD for more than 20 years now. Sarah is Director of Business Development at Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital and also serves as a Director on the Klein Education Foundation.
Sarah and I have two children who started as Kindergarten students at Hassler Elementary in Klein ISD, and are now a senior and junior at Klein Cain High School. Klein ISD has provided them both with a fantastic education, opportunities, and have them ready to succeed in life.
Professionally, I am a licensed professional engineer practicing traffic and transportation engineering. After 20 years as a Principal Engineer with my previous firm, I started my own company, Qualls Design, in May of 2022. As a consulting traffic engineer, I have over 25 public school clients in the region that I have provided traffic engineering and safety initiatives. I am the Engineer of Record for more than 16 traffic studies at Klein ISD schools and facilities over the past 20 years. Outside of the office, I thoroughly enjoy speaking to Klein ISD students about my profession and inspiring the next generation to become engineers of their own!
In my extra-curricular time, I primarily enjoy volunteering in my community and the Klein community as a whole. I have served as a MUD 367 Board Director for the past 3 years in the Gleannloch Farms neighborhood. Many years ago, I was a Farm League coach in both baseball and flag football, meeting some incredible young men and women that I still enjoy speaking with today. I was honored to be in the inaugural Hall of Fame of Farm League coaches in the class of 2013. From 2014 to 2020, I served as President of the Raveneaux Racers Swim Team in Champion Forest which were the absolute best summers, meeting several life-long friends along the way.
I have volunteered on numerous committees and in other capacities with Klein ISD over the past 15 years including:
- Bond Steering Committees: 2008, 2015, 2022
- Strategic Planning Committees: 2017, 2022
- Klein ISD Board of Trustees Candidate: 2013
- DIDC – Hassler Elementary School Representative: 2015-2017
- Developed School Traffic and Parking Diagram Maps for Hassler ES: 2015-2017
- WatchDOGS – Hassler Elementary School: 2015-2017
- Hassler Elementary School 5th Grade Graduation Parent Show Organizer and Choreographer: 2017
- Klein Leadership Coalition Member: 2019 to Present
- Klein Cain Basketball Booster Club Director: 2020-2022 (created http://CainHoops.com)
- Walk to School Day Crossing Guard: 2013-2015
- School Speed Zone Request and Study on Champion Forest Drive: 2017
- Career Day Presenter at Hassler Elementary School: 2014 and 2015
- Career Day Presenter at Doerre Intermediate School: 2016 and 2018
- Developed School Traffic and Parking Diagram Maps for Doerre IS: 2019
- Engineering Presentation and Family STEM Night at Ehrhardt Elementary School: 2023
- Engineering Presentation for all students at Frank Elementary School: 2023
- Engineering Presentation for all students at Northampton Elementary School: 2023
- Engineering Presentation for 4th and 5th Graders at Hassler Elementary School: 2023
- Engineering Presentation for all students at French Elementary School: 2023
- Klein ISD GT Expo Appraiser for two days: 2023
- Klein Cain Basketball Booster Club Sponsor: 2020-2022
- Klein Cain Cheer Booster Club Sponsor: 2021-2023
- Klein Education Foundation Fun Run Sponsor: 2023
- Klein ISD Citizens’ Finance Committee: 2023
I am a firm believer that the more time and effort that you personally invest into your community, the more rewarding your life will be. As a civil engineer, my personality is one of altruism; I try to lead selflessly and strive to improve others’ quality of life. I am an advocate for public education and am at the point in my life to be able to give back even more time to the public school district that has provided so much to my children.
As a newby school parent of a 1st Grade and Kindergarten student back in November 2013, I ran for the Klein ISD Board of Trustees on a whim to become more involved. I lost that election, but learned so much in the process. 10 years later now, and it’s time to give this another go!
Characteristics of how I would approach my duty of a Klein ISD Board Trustee include:
- Listen first, speak second.
- Lead by utilitarianism. (eg, What is the greater good for the greatest number of people?)
- Inspire altruism in others.
Tenets that will form the basis of my Trustee leadership include:
- Listen to, support, and inspire all 54,000+ students in Klein ISD.
- Listen to, support, and empower every teacher and staff member of Klein ISD.
- Advocate for Klein ISD and public education at the local and state level.
I am asking for your vote in November of 2023 for Klein ISD Trustee Position 1 on the ballot. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to call me at (713) 398-7461 or email me at email@example.com.
Thank you very much for your time and consideration.